As you read about playground coverings, you’ll learn:
- Which materials make good playground coverings
- How to keep your kids safe on playgrounds with the right covering underneath
Having a playground in your backyard is a great way to help your kids burn off some extra energy and keep them entertained when they are outside. If you’re thinking about putting a playset in your yard, you need to consider which type of playground ground cover is best for your kids. There are several options to choose from, and it’s important to select one that will keep your children safe while playing. Here’s what you need to know to make the right choice on playground ground coverings.
Playground Ground Cover
You know that the play equipment you set up in your backyard needs to be durable and well-constructed to keep your kids safe while playing on it. You may not pay as much attention to the material under the playground, but this is just as important. Playground ground coverings cushion the impact for kids when they fall, and they can also help anchor the playset so it is sturdier.
Material for Beneath Swing Sets
Some people choose to set their playgrounds on grass. This doesn’t provide much of a cushion for kids, and you may kill the grass under the playground due to lack of sunlight. It’s a much better idea to lay some type of playground ground-covering under the playset. You can use any of the following materials.
- Pea Gravel
- Rubber mats
- Wood mulch
- Rubber mulch
Rubber mulch: The Best Material for Playground Surfaces
While each type of playground ground covering has its unique advantages, rubber mulch stands out as the best choice. This material is an improvement upon wooden mulch. Although it looks similar to its wooden counterparts, rubber mulch is synthetic and offers numerous benefits. For all of the reasons listed below, rubber mulch is the best option for playground covering:
- Safety: rubber mulch offers superior fall protection. While other playground covering materials may cushion a fall of a few feet, rubber mulch has been proven to effectively cushion falls of up to 12 feet. This means you can feel more comfortable with the thought of your kids playing and taking risks on a playground.
- Style: Wooden mulch looks good in a backyard and is fairly easy to maintain, but rubber mulch adds even more style. Because this material is synthetic, it is available in a wide array of colors so you can choose one that brightens up your yard.
- No yearly replacements: Replacing playground coverings every year isn’t always expensive, but it is a hassle. While you need to replace other materials frequently, you never have to change out rubber mulch unless you decide to go with a different color.
- No mold: Mold is a real concern with wooden mulch. When it gets wet after a rainstorm, mold can grow and could potentially cause health problems for your family. You never have to worry about mold with rubber mulch.
- No splinters: Rubber mulch will never leave splinters. You don’t have to worry about your kids getting hurt by a splinter when they play or step in rubber mulch.
Find the Playground Equipment You Need at Backyard Fun Zone
If you live near Comstock Park or Martin, Michigan, Backyard Fun Zone is the place you need to go to find the best selection of playground equipment. Along with a great selection of playsets, we also carry rubber mulch and are happy to help you design a safe, entertaining playground for your kids. Contact us today to learn more.
Image Source: ThomasPhoto / Shutterstock